Basham Baseball and Genesis Sports Performance are very excited to share the results of our first ever Bat Speed Boot Camp! The class met for 9 weeks during the months of Jan, Feb & March. In spite of some of our participants battling injuries throughout the class, and seemingly weekly snow and ice storms that only occurred the nights we met, we still saw excellent results.
Being our first attempt at partnering on a class, there were many speed bumps and lessons learned along the way. We’re confident the class will continue getting better and better results as we fine tune the process.
All of the measurements we took centered around our hitters’ exit velocity. Exit Velocity is the speed the ball is coming off of their bat. For reference, it’s estimated that for every 1 MPH of exit velocity added, the ball would travel between 4-6 feet farther.
We were particularly proud of how much the group improved their averages when hitting off of the pitching machine. It shows that across the board, our hitters are squaring up WAY more moving balls!
When it comes to in-game results, your ability to hit a moving ball hard will translate much better than simply being able to hit the ball hard off of the tee. As a unit, our hitters gained an average of 7 MPH off of the machine!
Here are some additional highlights…
Group 1 (ages 10-12)
- Huge increases for the group in both max and average off of the machine (14% & 16%)
- One hitter increased both their max and average off the machine by 19 MPH (and a second player by 16 MPH)
- All hitters had increases in multiple metrics
- Three hitters increased their average off of the tee by 7+ MPH! That’s the equivalent to hitting the ball an additional 28-42 feet farther off of the tee!
Group 2 (ages 13+)
- Huge increases for the group in both max and average off of the machine (13% & 11%)
- One hitter increased their max off the machine by 18 MPH and average by 10 MPH
- Four other hitters increased their max and/or avg off of the machine by 7+ MPH! That’s the equivalent to hitting the ball an additional 28-42 feet farther off of the machine!
- All hitters increased at least one metric, most increased all metrics.
Here are the full results for each group and the cumulative total…